Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Take As Directed

Tonight is a big night for Austin, it's his directorial debut.

Check out this sneak peak, and see how many different camera set ups he did for these couple of minutes. (My count : 8)


Multiple takes with that many setups = Texas Cracker Torture

Austin is dishing on his directing debut and a hinting at some spoilers for what's in store for Brulian.

It sounds like he has wanted to director for a long time, telling TVGuide.com

"I've watched directors since my very first day of acting because I knew I wanted to direct. I painstakingly paid attention to every move and every word. But I was really struck by the fact that once I actually stood in the shoes of a director and I was directing, [those] observations seemed absolutely useless."

How'd he get the job? He said just kept showing up to production meetings. (Just like a little kid that never goes away, until they get what they want.) Austin wasn't thrilled with the episode he was assigned, because it was filled with flashbacks. "At first I was like, 'Oh, that sucks I can't shoot a whole episode,' but then as I started looking at the clips and trying to tie them together with my scenes, I was like, 'Wow this is really cool. Fans are going to love these.'"

"One of my favorite transitions is from Haley and Nathan's first kiss to them back in the present day. The way their heads are configured mirrors what it was like."

Sounds like Austin was pleased with his first time directing from what he told TVLine.com (check out their exclusive pic of Austin in action)


“When I finished directing, I felt like I’d really done something new and bigger and better,” gushes Nichols. “It was an incredible feeling to accomplish a task like that. Tons of directors have come through and done it, so it isn’t something that’s miraculous, but to me, it’s miraculous.

Tonight might not be Babies R U for everyone. As with anything on the Crazy Tree, things don't always go as planned, or as logic would dictate. But Austin hint at "the end is going to be so sweet, after we go through what we’re about to go through.”

Maybe the dog that ate Dan's heart will make an appearance and now take off with Brulian's baby.

BrookeDavis(TM) "Stop that dog just took my baaaaay - bee" (cry cry anguished face cry cry)

Julian "Maybe the Dingo took your baby"

BrookeDavis(TM): "Julian! Get Serious!This is not the time for that. Our baby was just taken away by pot smoking dog. Why do things like this always happy to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (cry cry anguished face cry cry) Julian take that ridiculous outfit off.

Julian: I blame the Crazy Tree.


Tonight on the Crazy Trees. Babies, Saltines, Flashbacks, and oh yeah BrookeDavis (TM) is going to cry.

Good Luck Austin!


Today marks a sad anniversary, it was a year ago today that oil spill in the Gulf happened. Many,including Austin, have taken the opportunity of taking such a tragedy and using it as a catalyst for change. Everyone can play a part in making a difference to help environment.

26 comments:

moca said...

Is this guy (marked with red arrow) Austin?

http://i55.tinypic.com/10g0ebt.jpg

prairiegirl said...

I saw that person in the background but I don't know. I don't think it is. Let us hear from the ear experts.

destiny said...

Happy Passover to all who celebrate it.

Don't know when I'll get to watch Austin's directing debut, not tonight for sure since we always have a second seder, as is traditional.

Jake is often in NY for Passover. Maggie has never said she doesn't celebrate Jewish holidays. Just like with Christmas, people who are not all that religious often celebrate the major holidays.

destiny said...

Not Austin; wrong ear and he doesn't have moles on the side of his face like that. Hair looks wrong too.

destiny said...

The picture of David Burtkah with the twins is adorable PG.

Special K said...

Hey Austin what's with the travelogue of NY?

Grand Central. So cool. http://twitpic.com/4mvb6d
about 4 hours ago via Twitpic


We know you've been to the Big Apple before, on crutches, on two good legs with a little digital dancing, and won't even go there about fashion week fashion go-round. So what's up? New camera?

Special K said...

Dest - we both thought the same thing looking at the guy in the picture,. I am adding - Austin's hair has lost most of it's curl and the guy didn't seem tall enough to be Austin.

duh said...

So what's up? New camera?

He wasn't on twitter before. Oh and he didn't have a directed by before either. Gotta pimp yourself when you don't have a personal publicist dontcha know.

Special K said...

So what's up? New camera?

It was a rhetorical question.

Special K said...

Guess this is Austin's way of saying there might be a Season 9 but I'm not won't be.

From ew.com

Sadly, the future is still in the air for One Tree Hill. In fact, Austin Nichols, who plays Julian, is in the dark as much as the rest of us. “I wish I knew more. I wish I knew it was going to be a series finale or just the end of the season,” he told us. Judging by the finale, it could go either way, he says. “I think Mark [Schwahn]’s really good at doing that, and I think that he can make an episode that does have closure but that can also plant seeds for the future,” he said. “I know that this happened to us last year as well. The end of season 7, he had an ending that was satisfying, he also had an ending that was an end. So we’ll see what he did this year, I definitely know that it’s going to be good, and the fans will love it.”

and from TVGuide.com

Whatever the super-secret scene holds, Nichols hints that things will remain intense and emotional for his character in the season finale. "I've always been scared I wasn't [able to do] scenes like that compared to people who get to that place more easily," Nichols says. "But that day when I walked into that room, it all just happened. It didn't seem like I had to work hard to do it, it seemed like I spent three years living with this character and when you breathe that reality in so much every day it lives in you. When I walked out of that that room I left feeling like I was an actor."

Hello dyslexia USA said...

saying there might be a Season 9 but I'm not won't be.

Have you noticed that Austin makes about as much sense as you?

on second thought said...

Have you noticed that Austin makes about as much sense as you?

Actually, Austin seems to have his own version of Gyllenbabble. Must be a logical offshoot from those who consistenlty lie to the public about their true selves.

prairie girl's said...

I'm at the game and we are freezing our little blue behinds off!!!

prairie girl said...

How did that s get there?

My $7 Chicago Dog was the Best. The best. And nachos of course. Brought my own water. Lollipop

Back to the handwarmers!

prairie girl said...

Stupid phone. LOL not lollipop! 7664

Special K said...

Austin did a great job.

Will wait until it's over out on the West Coast for the specifics.

destiny said...

Freezing for a football game is bad enough, but somehow it is just wrong to freeze for a baseball game.

the real m said...

I thought Austin did a great job. I wondered about why all the flashbacks, so good to know it just happened to be the episode he was handed. Lots of closeups, and the script itself was the usual ho hum with more tears than any other show on TV. I also noticed that Julian and Brooke never kissed once during the show. I mean on the lips. Heads close together, kisses on cheeks or foreheads, yes, but no lips. Sick of each other in real life.

prairiegirl said...

I forgot to DVR it.

But I'll tell you what. Frankly, these 2 guys are killing it for me. With every Sophin beard, every stupid quote from Jake, they're killing what used to be an honest love & support for them. I used to bounce back from this crap better & quicker than this.

Okay, Jake has had this lifelong struggle & acceptance for his sexuality. Austin wants his career. Hollywood has done them wrong. Society is to blame. The Academy is a bunch of old coots and did Brokeback wrong. Jake has a screwed up family with a mother & father who probably wished they had a straight son, playing a huge part for why he is in his closet in the first place. All right.

None of us can do anything about that. And some people grow up orphans, some retire from decades of hard work only to be given a death sentence medical diagnosis, or are born in the poorest of conditions or the child of a crack addict with no hope of escape. That isn't fair either.

Plain & simple. I don't like being lied to nor is there any appreciation or admiration for manipulation through public mediums.

I'm not going away so trolls can just sit down. But I'm just saying what is being left with every tide that washes out to sea is cynicism. Snarkism. Distrust. See, it's not even sadness anymore. I can't even feel bad for them. They are 30 stinkin' years old now - with apparently no foresight for what they are doing nor any consideration for their children. It's called selfishness.

What is left to admire about Jaustin? If someone can point it out to me, please enlighten. Right now, things are just really sour and I can't brush recent events off with the snap of a finger.

prairiegirl said...

What is the point of having something precious and shiny if you just keep it to yourself?

lol said...

I'm not going away so trolls can just sit down.

Oh noes :/

crap said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Special K said...

Part 1 of 2

Austin did do a great job.

And yes M you noticed what I notice about the kissing. You know as the director it is Austin call about happens in front of the camera. You'd think if you were the director that you would throw in a few more kisses with your "gf" than an eliminate them. Hmmm.

Austin's musical choices also gives a little more insight about about him. Music is a subjective thing, even if he needed to use music from a prescribed list of bands (because of The CW) it was his choice of song and how that played into the scene. Music is a powerful thing. I liked his choices not just for the big dramatic scenes but the those little ones too.

Special K said...

2 of 2

I like how he got Texas in there in one of the lines. I need to watch it again to see what else he tucked into the episode.

He did a great job weaving in the flashbacks, and there were some shots that were just beautifully blocked.

When BrookDavis(TM) and Julian find out they were not getting the baby he directed in such a quiet way, words, just the emotion passing over their faces at the moment they realized it. Then the pain hit and he shot in a way that you could see the joy of Nathan telling everyone they had a girl at the same time you see the pain of Brulian's lost of the little girl they weren't getting.

The big thing was babies. Babies, Babies, Babies. He went back to the babies in the nursery each time after break, kind of like starting point for the next act. I liked the sequence montage of the babies and just some of close up work he did with the babies. There was a very personal quality, you can tell he loves babies and has taken pictures like that before.

I know that Schwahn wrote it so that BrookeDavis(TM)was the first to be seen with Haley and baby Lydia, but was disappointed that Mark didn't let Nathan and Haley at least one moment together as a family.

destiny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
destiny said...

What is left to admire about Jaustin?

Sorry, can't help you PG. While it is nice that they're so engaged in various charities and causes, and Austin and Jake have done some good things in their careers, there's nothing to admire about bearding, lying, and hiding a child.

Such a contrast to people like NPH and Jessie Tyler Ferguson, who are not only out, but are doing things like tweeting pictures of their family (NPH), or making sure there are pap pictures of their dates (JTF) to make a point that their families and relationships should be accepted and seen just like straight stars.