Friday, June 10, 2011

Fielder's Choice

Austin is getting down in the big field and at all the stages at Bonnaroo. He's already seen some bands, and is doing a Bonn-a-blog via twitter.

And with the live stream for some of the shows via Bonnaroo's site - it's like you're there but with central air and your Ben & Jerry's won't melt as fast.

No one would be surprised if Austin was camping out with a few thousand new friends and getting into the spirit of Bonnaroo. Don't know if he has restarted that recycling for pictures economy this year or if he is just taking pictures with everyone, having fun and just letting people know it's cool to recycle and chillin'.

Now his state of dress? Well that might be debatable. Topless as least, for this always naked teasing twitterman.Could say it's because of the heat but doesn't matter the temp for him, he's game in any season it seems.

But biggest question is who's he going to make sure to catch and see for the rest festival and who should he try and make sure not to miss.

The line-up is chock full with all kinds of performers, and yeah there are headliners like Eminem, Little Wayne and Arcade Fire, but they are not the usual acts for a festival that more crunchy than most. Yeah, he'll probably catch The Strokes, The Black Keys, The Decemberists, Deerhunter, and having to listen them over and over at home, Florence and the Machine and Mumford & Sons.

But dude you gotta try and catch

Dr. John with the Original Meters and Allen Toussaint. This is a once in a life time thing with three of greats of New Orleans. And no doubt they will be doing stuff Dr John's classic Desitively Bonnaroo album, because come on where did they get inspiration for the name of the festival? That and hitting the stage just after midnight - EPIC.

Buffalo Springfield feat Richie Furay, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, Rick Rosas, Joe Vitale - And just for Neil alone is enough, but then there is so much more.

Robert Plant & Band of Joy - It's Robert Plant!!! And he can school anybody on Jesus hair, even now.


Wanda Jackson -You gotta see the Queen, the Queen of Rockabilly. The album she made with Jack White, The Party Ain't Over, kicks and at 70 so does she. And who would the Queen of Rockabilly date back in the day? The King of course. (Thankyou, thankyou very much)

Bootsy Collins & the Funk University - What's a party without some funk? And old school funk at that, with a bass line that can shake the ground.

Portugal. The Man - Their new album, In the Mountain in the Cloud, coming out in July is said to be is one best rock albums this year, and there is no need to try out your Portuguese, just enjoy.

And hey no worries people won't even notice if you spirit moves you during Scissor Sisters' set. Link

Hoping for more pictures Mr. Nichols. But will you dare tweet you getting your Second Line on during the "unofficial"Mardi Gras Parade in the wee small hours of Saturday morning?

Oh and will Austin be checking out Mumford’s horn section? Heard there’s a guy who sat in on their tour earlier this spring that knows how to toot a horn.

.....

Beautiful Boy continues to bigger, opening in more cities this week. A small movie with a difficult subject it understands that splashing out big wouldn't fit for what it was trying to do. Check out and see if it is playing near you.

Happy Austin Friday!

30 comments:

TWEET!!!!!!!!! said...

carijeanne: Standing right behind Sophia bush waiting to see Jessica Lea mayfield at #bonnaroo. Best day ever!

pathetic said...

You waited four hours with that so you could be the first comment?

destiny said...

Sounds like a great lineup, I would especially love to see Buffalo Springfield. Hopefully they will do a tour as is rumored.

I find it odd that if Sophia is really at Bonnaroo that she hasn't mentioned it, and is busy tweeting about cancer and other causes.

prairiegirl said...

Funny indeed, Dest. She's just so darn busy, you know. She's totally absorbed in banging her own drum for all of her causes. Oh and let's not forget blogging.

hello kitty cat said...

Meow.

Special K said...

The line up looks great I agree. I would love to see Mavis Staples again. I've seen her twice once with her dad Pops and her sisters. See was great both times.

I would be loving the Dr. John, Allen Toussaint and the Meters together. I've seen Toussaint and The Meters, but haven't caught Dr. John yet.

There are so many people I would want if I could book my own festival.

I would book Tower of Power for just the horn section alone. They are so good in person it's insane.

Of course Billy Idol would have to be on the bill.

The rest I have to think about.

Music to My Ears said...

That's who I'd be waiting to see, Buffalo Springfield. :)

And of course I have always loved Robert Plant. Enduring, versatile, and I loved his album with Alison Kraus. And so pretty too. Led Zeppelin was to the 70s what the Beatles were to the 60s. Innovative, and I love their Blues.

prairiegirl said...

I tell you what, I could not be more glad to get out of work for the weekend. Not fun at all; too busy and not enough time to get everything done. And when I left, I still saw 1st shift workers on their lifts who must have been forced over. That is a drag on a Friday night.

But it is now officially the weekend!! I could not be more glad.

prairiegirl said...

Robert Plant had some of the greatest hair, didn't he? What I wouldn't have given for some of that curl - he had enough to share with several people, lol.

And dang, lookit those tight pants. Good grief!

Fool in the Rain - that is one of my all-time favorites.

I would be rooting for Billy Idol, too. That guy could rock.

I'd toss in a little bit of Starship and Grass Roots, too.

Special K said...

I 've done lots of Blues and Jazz shows three days sitting in the hot July sun. I have seen some incredible shows. We would get there at 8 am, the gates opened at 10am and the first band didn't go on till at least 2. But did I got tons of pictures from down front and center stage.

There was always some point when zydeco started and you saw 20,000 plus people up dancing. Now how many of them were sober when that happen that's a good question.

Music to My Ears said...

Oh, I love zydeco and cajun too, rockabilly, roots - I would be hard pressed to pick for a festival as well.

I also loved Led Zeppelin's British folk influence too - their big rock songs that we associate with them are so great - but their blues and folk influences are too. Robert's angelically beautiful esp. back then, but he's got talent too. And Jimmy Page, and John Bonham.

I definitely want to check out Beautiful Boy. Happy Austin Friday!

destiny said...

I've never gone gone to a big, multi-day festival like that. As much as I'd like the music, I don't think I could take the conditions. I did a small, one-day festival here once years ago with Irish acts like the Pogues and Van Morrison; the music was great, but man, dirty porta-potties, no water fountains and charging a fortune for bottles of water (and they wouldn't let you in with your own), glaring sun, garbage everywhere......I'm too much of a princess, lol.

Music to My Ears said...

Ewww, I know - I'm with ya on that. :) I've been to a couple of one-dayers, but that's it. I always stay near a decent hotel.

Special K said...

We did birthday parties at the show, for my brother we had a plane fly over with a banner on it, mine he handed out flyers and put of posters with worst picture he could find of me and told people if they see me say Happy Birthday. My other brother wouldn't come for the fest to celebrate his so we made a poster of him when he was young and then him today, with the words too old to party anymore and got the performers to sign it and have their picture taken with it.

Oh we always stayed in a hotel near the venue. Hot showers and late night room service. We ran into more performers there each year. One morning we were all alone in the elevator with Wilson Pickett and his bodyguard (who gave us the don't even think about it look) When got out we thanked him for a great show the night before and have a nice day.

The biker guy who always came and always end up setting up next to us at the show would bring in a bottle of ice cold windshield wiper to drink. He said it gave him a good buzz cheap. Well maybe Big Blue could, but it can make you blind or kill you too.

Zeppelin - not enough room to go on about how good they were. Love 'em. Only wish they had owned up to and had given the royalties to all those blues artist who they "borrow" from to make their music that made them famous, before they were sued by those poor blues guys.

AUS10 said...

AUS10NICHOLS AUSTIN NICHOLS
Bonnaroo. Day 2. Florence and the Machine. http://twitpic.com/59rr27
2 minutes ago

tweet said...

@MelindaLaGrang
Melinda LaGrange
@AUS10NICHOLS Saw you and your twin in US Weekly!!! yfrog.com/hs7flcqj

Percy said...

Zeppelin - not enough room to go on about how good they were.

Which tour did you see? They were the one band I wish I could've seen. :-(

Special K said...

I meant that in a general sense. Sorry if I made it seem like I saw them in person. I only wish I had.

destiny said...

I would have loved to see them too, and never did. Ditto for Queen. :-(

AUS10 said...

Bonnaroo. @gracepotter was animalistic. Very sexy and bad ass.
19 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

;) said...

carijeanne: Standing right behind Sophia bush waiting to see Jessica Lea mayfield at #bonnaroo. Best day ever!

LOL! Too funny

Anonymous said...

Memories of Watkins Glen, NY...summer, 1973. Crowds there out-numbered Woodstock by 200,000 And I had tickets! By the time we got there, the fences were down, so I kept the tickets. Still have them in a safety deposit box as they are truly priceless!

Special K said...

OMG! EV I am so envious. I can only imagine what that must have been like.

And the sheer fact that you still have the tickets (intact) after all that rain, mud and people. And yes they are priceless!

Who was you favorite act?

Anonymous said...

We had to park the car in "Montour Falls" and make a rugged hike to the site. Mari, wearing "Dr. Scholl's" sandals was unaware she'd lost one of them. I asked her, "Where is your other shoe?" She looked at her feet, dumbly, and replied, "i dunno, man". We were a group of four, among us our valedictorian from our graduating high school class of '73. On the way home, we stopped for fuel. On inserting the fuel pump handle into the tank, I pierced the neck into the tank and pumped fuel into the trunk, and into the rear of the car. We managed to get fuel into the tank, but had to stop every twenty miles to bail out of the car to smoke a joint. It was a 1967 Ford Falcon station wagon.

Anonymous said...

Favorite act was, after the drenching thunderstorm, The Band came on with "Life is a Carnival"

prairiegirl said...

Wow ev, that's quite a story, LOL!! Holy cow, that's wild. Hey, did the station wagon have that imitation woodgrain siding on it? lol, remember those things?

Boy, you guys have some really cool concert stories. Okay, so here are the ones I've seen. I did see the Osmonds/Jackson 5 on tour together in K.C., lol. Talk about a screamfest. Just think about this one: Bryan Adams opening up for Journey, with Steve Perry. That was when Bryan had his very first album with Fits Ya Good on it. I remember a Chicago/Beach Boys at what used to be Arrowhead Stadium where I also saw Michael & the Jacksons on their Triumph tour. There've been some other good ones like Stevie Nicks and Elton. The one I was most disappointed in was Tina Turner at Starlight Theatre. That was a punch the clock kind of performance. The Pointer Sisters opened up though and they were great.

prairiegirl said...

My poor Dad.

Remember a family vacay to St Louis and my little brother came down with the chicken pox and had to stay at the hotel with Mom. Dad took us 2 girls to 6 Flags and it so happened the DeFranco Family was performing there. All we wanted to do was stand in line, waiting to go into the amphitheatre and get a seat. No rides, no popcorn, no walking around. Who knows how much he paid to get all 3 of us in there.

Bless his heart. But we were happy; that's what we wanted to do so he stood there with us. That's what parents do, right? And then he had to sit and listen to all of that screaming and bubblegum music like "Heartbeat It's a Lovebeat". Now I look back on it and think poor Dad.

My brother came into town for the weekend last night because he's going to some kind of special class. We thought we were having hot dogs on the ol' George Foreman grill but Mom surprised us with enchiladas!!! Woot Woot! Boy, did we tear into those things. What a great deal after the rough week that it was at work.

prairiegirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
destiny said...

Wow E.V., amazing story. I've never talked to anyone who was actually there.

prairiegirl said...

YESSSSS!!!

PG will indeed go to the movies again.

I just saw pics on Just Jared of a movie Bradley Cooper is filming with a Zoe Saldana. Gorgeousssss!!!!! Hot!!!!

Now that's my kind of movie and I will be looking forward to that one.

lol.

Mmmm mmm, Bradley looking very, very fine in those pictures - his jawline looks as smooth as a little baby's bottom.

Hey, I'm excited!!!