Wednesday, April 30, 2008

JFC Making a Splash at the Emmys?

Despite canceling John From Cincinnati it seems that HBO recognizes what a brilliant show that it had in hindsight. HBO has submitted JFC for Emmy consideration in the following categories for acting. No doubt they are submitting for consideration for Milch, for writing, and for the series.

"JOHN FROM CINCINNATI"
Lead Actors: Bruce Greenwood, Brian Van Holt, Austin Nichols,
Lead Actress: Rebecca De Mornay
Supporting Actresses: Keala Kennelly, Emily Rose, Chandra West
Supporting Actors: Greyson Fletcher,
Willie Garson, Luis Guzman, Ed O'Neill, Luke Perry, Matt Winston
Garrett Dillahunt, Dayton Callie, Jim Beaver, Paul Ben Victor

Handicapping the JFC group, you can see one or two that have real chance for a nomination. If Ed O'Neil is not seriously considered in the supporting actor category it would be criminal, who remembers Ed Bundy in his performance as Bill Jacks. Right off the mark, Ed came out with an amazing performance.


And the other actor? That would have to be Austin. Up until JFC we saw so little of what Austin was capable of as an actor. Working with Milch opened up a entire new level of performance for Austin. His portrayal of John a messenger not of this world was one of the most developed unique multifaceted layered performances on TV last year. From the smallest of details, expressions and characteristics he created a character that had an audience for thinking what is this? to who is this? to ultimately could it be?

Austin took a role that could make or break him as an actor and ran with it, giving a fearless performance that many would find too risky.

"David was really quiet and he was ignoring me and I finally got to call him and I wanted to ask him and talk to him about it cause I like to collaborate and get everybody, you know, get help and throw my ideas out and David was literally—literally looked at me and said “I just want you to do what you did as Morgan.” And that really confused me and I didn’t know any—and the only thing he said is “Austin, you’re the guy. You gotta be the guy. And to you, I just want you.” And so I’m thinking, does David think that I’m retarded? And it took me a long time to sort of process what he meant by those things. In the end what I just realized is that whatever I do is fine. And he gave me so much confidence in just telling me that basically I can do no wrong. I can make no mistakes. All I have to do is show up and just be there with everybody."

It was Milch's confidence in his acting and in him that let Austin create one of most memorable characters on television in recent memory. If the Motion Picture and Television Arts can not see that, it will be an even greater disappointment than the cancellation of JFC itself.

Little JFC rewind: Great interview with Austin.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed for JFC and Austin!

Anonymous said...

Looks like the 2012 story has started making the rounds. Is it just me, or can no one else see Reese in a disaster movie?

Special K said...

See with a disaster movie there is always a risk. Either the audience will cheer for you to survive or cheer for you to meet your fate.

Is Reese really that risky? crazy? clueless? full of herself? cause I think she might not like what the audience wants to have happen to her.

Special K said...

Remember that glee Jake got when they talked about LA being destroyed by tornadoes in TDAT.

Can you imagine the smirky goodness he would have to contain when talking about Reese succumbing to sink hole the size of Dodger Stadium?

destiny said...

Austin is great in JFC. And I think that the way Milch forced Austin to create the character really paid off not only only for the story, but for Austin's acting as well. And it's interesting too, because I'm sure Austin didn't get a lot of direction in a lot of the movies he's been in, and he was just okay. Now with JFC you have this great performance, and you could say it was having a great director. But in the end it was really all Austin too, with the help of Milch who made Austin tap into abilities he may not have realized he has.

Anonymous said...

Great news about JFC, good luck!

Love today's music. :)


2012? My name says it all. ;)

Clarity said...

Great post Special. I'm glad you included the remarks from Austin too. I think that Austin did an amazing job in JFC. I honestly hadn't seen him in anything other than TDAT. Now I can definately see him in a starring role. I also agree with you about Ed O’Neill’s performance. I could not believe the depth he gave his character Bill right from the beginning. Actually the whole cast was quite good. I really hope the show does get recognized. I think they all deserve it for their hard work.

Anonymous said...

Agree that Austin really showed his stuff in JFC, but I would not get my hopes up. The Emmy crowd is not known for thinking outside the box. Even though the show was hard to follow, I think it would have done better had they not cast Rebecca DeMornay(sp?). She was truly awful.

The rumored disaster movie would be a disaster of gigantic proportions for a 100 reasons. I dont buy that story for a minute. Everyone knows about Gigli. Can't see any studio putting up money for an alleged "couple".

Neal P Harris, TR Knight and Lance Bass have all been in the gossip columns these past few days for various reasons. Movie to promote, events to attend. I could not help but notice that all 3 look positively glowingly happy. No stress or tension on their faces. Coming out and being able to really be themselves seems to have agreed with them. And I just love TR's new boyfriend. What a cutie pie. Terrific smile.

Wicked said...

I would love to see JFC recognized for something at the Emmys. Anything! It was a truly great show.

I think if this Jeese in the 2012 movie was really going to happen in June, we would have heard something about it before now. Look how long we have known Jake was going to be in Nailed. I think if they are going to do it, it will not start filming in June.

destiny said...

It is so great to see these guys out promoting things with their boyfriends and looking so happy. Harold and Kumar 2 made almost as much money its first weekend as the H&K 1 made in its entire theatrical run, so I think it is safe to say NPH being out has not hurt the film in any way.

Regarding the disaster film, would a studio really be gearing up to start shooting an expensive film like this with the possibility of an actor's strike looming at the end of June? I don't think so. This may just be another pr effort to keep Reeke's name out there.

Anonymous said...

How to keep the buzz when there's no pictures? Dog didn't work. Try projects for them to do together. Won't happen but keeps the Reeke brand going.

Anonymous said...

McKellen back as Gandalf for The Hobbit

Blue Velvet said...

It would be great if JFC was nominated for any Emmy. I don’t expect one for Austin, even though he did a remarkable job as John Monad, but I think Ed O’Neill has a chance. Anyone who ever saw him as Al Bundy had to be blown away by his performance as Bill Jacks. Unfortunately, the show suffered from the fallout from the Deadwood cancellation and from the controversial Sopranos finale. A lot of people who refused to watch JFC because of Deadwood’s demise have come around now that they’ve seen the show on DVD. Too bad it’s too late to make a difference.

Anonymous said...

Reese gets ready for the physical rigors of being on hand

Blue Velvet said...

Here are some interesting quotes from Amanda Heard (Austin's co-star) about The Informers

Anonymous said...

I'm cringing at the idea of a Jeese disaster movie - disaster being the right word. Couples, bearding or not, are not a box-office pull....

Anonymous said...

Reese is not wearing her Avon bracelet! Not on her wrist or in her hair. Shame!

destiny said...

Thanks BV for the link.

It still pains me that HBO pulled the plug on JFC, they did not give it the chance it deserved. Most of the other new shows on HBO haven't done well either, so I'd sure like to know why they killed JFC so quickly. Maybe it was too expensive given all the location work and the amount of time it took Milch to shoot it.

Anonymous said...

the reese/jake disaster 2012 movie wouldnt be so bad. in the longrun it would put them both in their place- reese as a joke and jake on a weekly drama tv show. sure its not the glamourous movie biz but tv is way more progresive re actor's sexuality than the movie studios.

Anonymous said...

From WFT2-
A gay horse of a different color?

Kentucky Derby winner War Emblem has no interest in mares. What could it mean?

Anonymous said...

Go Austin Go! :P

come on Jake... one TDAT is enough.

london tb said...

What a really interesting, powerful gal Amber Heard is - another product of Austin, TX. The Informers is sounding good!

I love that Austin interview too, and am looking forward to watching JfC, which turned up today. I really liked his acting as Morgan Earp; and in his second CSI.

Don't know what to make of 2012 but I agree with Wicked that the short timeframe sounds a little suspect. I kind of think Jake has done this film already (as has Roland), and I don't want to watch a film starring Jake and Reese. I don't think even what we see in photos "works", so I don't see how they could crank it up for a whole film. There's just no chemistry, IMO.

Reese is wearing not-aviators again :)

Wicked said...

I think they should put War Emblem around some stallions and see how he reacts. I doubt they will do this, because it sounds like they really don't want to know!

Anonymous said...

Even the Babblers think 2012 is a bad idea, so that should tell you how bad it is! They should be salivating over Reeke in a movie together.

Anonymous said...

New Dark Knight trailer

Heath looks fabulous in this!

Anonymous said...

All Ted's talk about Rufus and Jorn made me post this pic of them.

Wicked said...

Nice to see a pic of Rufus and Jorn. I had no idea what Jorn looked like.

Seeing that trailer it is hard to believe that Heath also played Ennis del Mar. He is owning The Joker.

Clarity said...

The Dark Knight looks amazing. I can't wait to see it. Thanks for the link. Heaths voice sounds totally different.

Anonymous said...

J - Say you're doing 2012 with Reese. Too f'in funny. Haven't I seen that one before? Hot guy and tall dude having a hard time not giving away crushing on each other during disasters? Or was that just us on the set? - A

Anonymous said...

Oh baby, you know that's just a rumor!
Don't you remember we already filmed that one last week in our room? I think back then the running name still was "TDAT: The Night After Tomorrow".

Anonymous said...

What are you doing? You get back here, Jake. You haven't finished kissing my feet yet!