Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Reviews and Reworks

It's all Jake today starting off with an OMG exclusive.



Destiny had the opportunity to attend a special screen of Source Code followed by a Q&A with director Duncan Jones at the Lincoln Film Center last night. Here's her review and highlights of the evening. (Thanks Destiny for sharing it with OMG)

"I really liked Source Code. What really surprised me is how much fun it is, and how funny it was. Duncan Jones said that they deliberately injected humor into the movie, which aside from the ending, is apparently the only things they really changed about the script. However me, my girlfriend, and another friend who went with us were the only ones laughing in the audience. I don't know if that is because people didn't find it laugh out loud funny, or because they thought it wasn't the kind of thing you should laugh at. I laugh at a lot of things people find too dark to laugh at.

I thought Jake was really good, and right for the role. My girlfriend thinks he was not quite right for the role, she thinks he has a goofy quality that makes him not quite credible as a member of the Air Force. I also really liked Michelle Monaghan and Vera Farmigna. Jeffrey Wright really didn't have all that much to do.

I feel like it is impossible to talk about the plot without giving things away, so I'm not going to say anything about that, other than to say I didn't find any of the twists and turns surprising.


We all thought the plot was internally incoherent in places, but it was so much fun we didn't mind--not even my girlfriend, who usually hates movies of this sort. Our friend didn't like the last third of the movie because he found it got too bogged down in HW movie conventions. I do think the ending lacked the punch it could have had, so while I think it was a fun movie, I wouldn't say it is a great movie or one that is particularly memorable. It's a good popcorn movie.

Duncan Jones didn't answer questions for that long--maybe 15 or 20 minutes. While it was fun to see him talk about it, I don't think there is anything that probably hasn't been already said in interviews, although again I was struck by how much I think he genuinely liked Jake and liked working with him.

The screening was sold out (theater holds about 300) and when I got there 30 minutes before it started there was already quite a line. Most people stayed for the Q&A. I didn't hear anybody else talking about the movie so I can't gauge how the rest of the audience felt about it, although from the applause for the mention of Jone's last film Moon, I got the sense that a lot of the people were there because of the director."


While Duncan is on the East Coast Jake is doing his part on the West Coast. Jake will be on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight and for those of you who don't want to wait for the highlights or for it to come on in your area, it will be streaming live starting at 12:35 EST.

Jimmy Kimmel Live
(scroll down on page)

Jake should bring an Source Code action figure (every 8 minutes kids will want a new one) with him to go with the Kimmel Lego from his last visit.

Project Update:

No Mooning for Jake

Jake has moved on from Doug Liman's Moon Project which he has been attached to since Oct 2007. THR is reporting that production is back on track and Linman is now looking for two or three leads including a replacement for Jake with a short list that includes Andrew Garfield, Emile Hirsch and Chris Pine. (Two of which are also on the shortlist for Akira the movie Austin tweeted about, sorry Austin, too tall again).

With Moon off the table there are only two lingering projects on Jake's plate, Damn Yankees and the Namath biopic.

22 comments:

Special K said...

Maxim Magazine (US) has advertised that Jake will be in their April issue.

Special K said...

You think Austin realized that he made himself a mess with the twitpic of his recycling ticket and has to do a little clean up now?

Flying across the Earth tomorrow. Thing I will miss the most... @SophiaBush about 5 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

tickets said...

Win tickets to double bill screening of SOURCE CODE and MOON in London 30th March
info

destiny said...

I really like this version of Space Oddity.

Yeah, I've been wondering why the tweet about Sophia, too, and checked the OTH forums. They seem to think he's off to Indonesia. And of course Sophia had to respond to that one with a counting the days until you're back response.

I would expect they'll keep up the charade at least until the end of the season.

prairiegirl said...

SophiaBush Sophia Bush
@
@AUS10NICHOLS I'll be marking off the days on my calendar until you get back home.
5 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply





'Scuse me while I whip this out.











LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!

prairiegirl said...

So we're supposed to believe that after months and months and months of these 2 wanting to keep it "private" and no longer using TWEET to sell their relationship, that all of a sudden, they've had a change in heart.

No, more likely since they no longer have a W filming set on which to sell it, what do they have left?

Their twitters.

Their own Forum fangirl fans themselves explained on the site that this was their new approach - not to use their twitters to pronounce their relationship.

lol. Man, Austin....you're too much.

It's like watching an episode of OverTheHill, that's how weak those two tweets are.

brakespeare said...

Weak? Methinks thou doth protest too much. Those "weak" tweets got two weak comments from you.

Special K said...

I really like this version of Space Oddity.

I really like this version and have wanted to play it for a while.

Bowie called their version "a piece of art that I couldn't have conceived of", describing the vocals as "earnest if lugubrious" and the backing arrangement as "astounding"

I don't know if you've heard anything else from the The Langley School Project or not. The project was students from Langley School District in British Columbia in 76 and 77. A record collector discovered the old record in a thrift store, shopped it around and got it released by Bar/None records in 2000.

Another song I really like is their cover of Desperado.

prairiegirl said...

Weak? Methinks thou doth protest too much. Those "weak" tweets got two weak comments from you.

Heck yeah, you think I'm going to pass up an easy target like that? They were sitting ducks.

Person, you need to relax a little bit - you're wound just a little too tight.

Music Lover said...

How exciting - glad you got to see Duncan Jones too. Thanks Destiny for your report of the special screening! :)

tickets said...

Source Code's having screenings all over the place this week.

Special K said...

Sounds like you really enjoyed the movie Destiny. Can't wait see it next week.

Guess Jake did a chat with Etalk online for CTV tonight as well as his appearance on Kimmel.

More interviews keep coming here is Jake with Reelz Channel

jake at jimmy kimmel said...

Ja3cky:The awkard moment when you ask jake gyllenhaal to sign your pictures and he says "Oh nice" then the marker doesnt work -__-

theeddielopezJust met Jake Gyllenhaal!! What a hottie!!! *swoon* 4 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Bedonieusa:Jake Gyllenhaal Spotted At Hollywood And Highlands In Hollywood. 7 minutes ago via Mobile Web from Hollywood, Los Angeles

destiny said...

Thanks for the information about the Langley School Project, interesting how it was "rescued" like that. And should have known that it had to be from the 70s, not from today.

You killed me PG with your LOLLLL.... lol.

tweet said...

In the Studio Audience of Jimmy Kimmel on Hollywood Boulevard. Just saw Jake Gyllenhaal ♥ LIVE! 10 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
TaliaDeLuca

destiny said...

Man, I got confused and missed the first few minutes of Jake, guess I'll catch it on the internet. I thought Kimmel started 30 minutes later than it did. What littel I saw, Jake seemed very charming.

Special K said...

Jake looked great and had a great time. Relaxed and having fun. Great stories. A total charmer. I will save the specifics till others can see it. But can't forget his obsession over the width of Jimmy's cape tie.

Sorry there were two different times post for Kimmel. Online said 12:35 for the live feed, but the show started at 12:05.

Kimmel&Co is really good about putting up the clips quick. I will post them as soon as I find them.

the real m said...

Destiny, I had a feeling you would see an early screening since you got to see LAOD that way too. The advantages of New York vs the suburbs. So glad you enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to it as well. Based on comments I've read, Duncan seems to be the draw, but hopefully Jake will make some new fans when they see SC. I am happy for Duncan though. He seems like a great guy and his tweeting and blogging just adds to the fun.

Florida Tom said...

Destiny the advanatages of living in NYC are very nice. I am glad you enjoyed the movie.


The weather here in Florida is just been great. We spent two days in Fort Lauderdale and then I went over to Daytona to visit my neice. Only two days left. Still two games to go to today and tomorrow then back North on Saturday.


Austin sure is long and lean. He looks so cute in that PR picture.

Prairie Girl said...

Hey Mr. Tom!!! Glad to hear you're having an awesome time.

Austin sure is long and lean. He looks so cute in that PR picture.

At first, I thought you were being facetious (LOL!) but then I realized you were referring to that Wilmington shot of him in the cargo shorts. Or at least I guess that's NC.

No, Tom, all we have of Austie Boy is his left upper forearm, wrist and thumb from Puerto Rico.

Special K said...

Didn't have a picture of him in PR, but plenty of beach shots and this picture of Austin walking was from filming on the beach in NC in 2009 for the first episode of Season 7.

destiny said...

Rub it in Tom, it was snowing last night when I came home from the movies.

I saw Margin Call at the New Director's film festival--it's the movie made by Zachary Quinto's production company. An amazing cast, and everyone is really terrific in it. Spacey, Irons, Bettany.....I'm not sure it will have wide appeal as it's about a financial trading crises, but they manage to make it interesting, exciting, and ultimately it's really more of a character study.