Thursday, December 4, 2008

Did you ever think?

After all the discussion about PoP and how its just a big Hollywood blockbuster movie more about the action than the action and comments about Jake's movie choices lately. What the heck was The Day After Tomorrow? Seriously. This was no Shakespeare. It wasn't the next Citizen Kane. It was a summer blockbuster movie who's biggest star was natural disasters and special effects and had plot holes and questions you could drive a truck through.

And you know what, that's ok. Because it was made to be an action movie and blockbuster, where the "hero" gets the girl. Isn't that what Prince of Persia's suppose to be? Different time, place and setting, but it all boils down to the same.

Why is doing PoP now that different than TDAT then? Losing his indie cred? Jake popped his big Hollywood movie cherry with TDAT and was no more an indie boy.

The Brokeback factor? Before TDAT Jake had done one of the most iconic roles of his career Donnie Darko. His performance is critical and cult acclaimed. There are as many, who are as big of Darko fans as there are Brokeback fans, and with as much passion and fervor.

If you read what TDAT was about before seeing the movie, you would have been like this looks like it's gonna blow. But now ..... And without TDAT you wouldn't have.....



Now here are some of my many questions about TDAT.

Too much ash too little time
Why would you burn the books? Why not the furniture? How many chairs does the NY Public library have? Wood burns longer than paper and turns into coals and embers. What does paper burn into ? Ash. If you were burning books for a week 1) Do you have any idea how many books that would be? You would have the entire room filled with books and a book cart pile up everywhere. And where do you put that much ash? You can't keep it in the fireplace? And come none of them were ever smudgy or ashy from tending to all that fire stoking?


The Wet Spot?!?
How can you have a room that is a frozen block of ice on one wall and a roaring fire on the other, and not have a puddle somewhere? There has to been a some mixing and melting.



Pick up Artists
Knew that Jake picked up Austin when they came in through the window during deep freeze. But did any one every catch that Austin picking up Arjay?




Even Barbra would be jealous
And if you were Emmy Rossum and Sela Ward wouldn't you be pissed that Jake got the best lighting out of the whole movie. You wonder if it was Roland or the lighting guy's idea to give him one of the most romantic fireside glows ever, yes he had one with Emmy, but I'm talking about that scene with Dennis Quaid.
OMG's Season of Sharing


Go Green this season.

You can do big and little things this season. If you celebrate Christmas, look at getting a Christmas tree that could be planted in your yard or garden. Or if you get a pre cut tree, check with you local town or city to see if there is a tree recycling program. Many towns and cities will take your Christmas tree and turn it into mulch for the municipal parks and gardens in your area.

Other an environmental cause to consider:

The Nature Conservancy
Since 1951, and with over one million members annually The Nature Conservancy has protected more than 119 million acres of land and 5,000 miles of rivers worldwide — and we operate more than 100 marine conservation projects globally. Work in more than 30 countries — protecting habitats from grasslands to coral reefs, from Australia to Alaska to Zambia. And address threats to conservation involving climate change, fire, fresh water, forests, invasive species, and marine ecosystems.

18 comments:

destiny said...

That Prop. 8 video is very funny, and NPH is great in it. Too bad they didn't have things like this before the vote.

I saw a great documentary last night. I'm plugging this movie because I think it has a lot of important things to say about civil rights, and because a friend of mine did some of the research for the archival footage used.

Naomi Wolf wrote a book a few years ago about how a lot of the things that happened to civil rights under Bush were similar to what happened in Germany, and she does town hall type appearances to talk about it. This movie is downright scary. And it's still relevant, because the laws and policies will still be in effect even after Obama takes over. I think it is only playing in NY and LA right now for Oscar purposes, but it's one to keep your eyes out for.

New York Times Movie Review

Anonymous said...

Good point about TDAT vs POP. At the time of TDAT, I dont think he had as many scripts to choose from. BBM showed what he was capable of, with proper direction. Both Ang and Roland went out of their way to make Jake look his best. He isn't the first actor to take the money and run and he won't be the last.

Re this latest People crap - I cant believe what a poor job Jake's PR does for him. Mind boggling.

Anonymous said...

Great post today, and good points about blockbusters - I remember being intrigued by the concept of TDAT (didn't think it was gonna blow!), but it was another one I never got around to seeing. I have since seen it many times and own a copy. Thanks for the mentions of The Nature Conservancy and Susan G. Komen Foundation yesterday, two of my faves. We try to go on the 5K walks/runs every Sept. :)

I'm one who leans in the direction of there being a Baby T. It's not that far-fetched to me. If other huge HW stars can keep their family lives private, why not J&A. What we're seeing lately all looks carefully orchestrated, too good to be true. To me, stars, paps, and gossip columnists all work together to create that HW illusion that we all love so much. I am sure that when they don't want to be bothered, they are left alone.

Special K said...

So Matt Damon, Jake and David Fincher are all in London at the moment. Do you think there is any Torso talking?

Anonymous said...

I am sure that when they don't want to be bothered, they are left alone.

ITA. Especially when you consider how good Jake has been to the paps. Jake is liked by the paps, he's one of the few who hasn't give them the finger, sworn at them, hit them, grabbed and thrown their equipment, smashed their cameras in their faces, or even hid his face and didn't want to get photographed. Jake knows, just like the paps, the give and take of the business and for sure all the accomodating, respect, and politeness he's shown them in the last 8 years is paying off now.

TDAT, remember when everyone thought it would be Jakes big break, a big disaster movie with lots of action? And it wasn't? PoP might be the same way, after all the Spiderman, Ironman, Batman, POTC, etc. glut. PoP might be too much, too late.

What should we wish for with Jake? Big success, big money, big fame? Will the Big 3 bring him freedom to be himself? Or more ties that bind him even tighter into maintaining a false image? I'm torn on what to wish for him.

What came first: the hot ash, the pickup, then the wet spot? Who had the hotter ash? Who picked up who? Which one slept in the wet spot? Enquiring minds and horny I mean healthy imaginations want to know.

destiny said...

Matt Damon is there too? Interesting about Damon being in London too. I'd love to see Jake do Torso.

I really like TDAT, much to the horror of several of my friends. I think it's a pretty good film for the genre, and I really like the political message. Which is not to say there are not parts that drag and that I could live without.

Anonymous said...

What came first: the hot ash, the pickup, then the wet spot? Who had the hotter ash? Who picked up who? Which one slept in the wet spot? Enquiring minds and horny I mean healthy imaginations want to know.

LOL Chris :)

Special K said...

I liked TDAT on the whole, it was great summer escape movie and like you said Dest, good in terms of the the genre. And of course for what came from TDAT.

It was just parts of it that drove me crazy as you can see by first two questions, that and how do stay in a tent and walk all the way from Philadelphia and NYC in that extreme cold that shattered windows and brought down helicopter.

What came first: the hot ash, the pickup, then the wet spot? Who had the hotter ash? Who picked up who? Which one slept in the wet spot? Enquiring minds and horny I mean healthy imaginations want to know.

Oh yeah Chris - you got it.

Anonymous said...

I really do hope Torso gets approved or whatever is being considered about it - it sounds like a great idea for a movie. I hope Jake is in it, and I like Matt and David Fincher a lot. :)

Anonymous said...

Ted revealed another Blind Vice:
Seth Macfarlane
Click on the link in the story and it goes to Mooney Tune BV

Special K said...

Saw that Clooney is London too. Clooney, Damon, and Gyllenhaal, and People closed their London offices - oh they are kicking themselves now.

What would make Jake rush back to the US? .. ok there's that's a big tall brunette and a one teeny tiny thing - you know a tiny tile size.... not the polly pocket size

Special K said...

Informers is premiering at Sundance.

Variety

Sundance runs Jan 15-25

Anonymous said...

Jake's become Mr. Wimpy, Boring Witherspoon. Unless Reeke's PR team organized the photo op, I doubt the paps would even try to get his pic without Reese being there. What would be the point of pics of Jake by himself? it's not doing anything to make Reese look good.

prairiegirl said...

Heyyyy! Good evening!

Hello out there! Phew. What a couple of days. Good to be back amongst the living with my laptop and not at work pulling hair out, pulling fits over constant server/network issues, and just goin' nuts over one of the busiest weeks I've ever seen there.

And here's a big SALUUUUUUUTE to computer GURU's. A big smack-eroo to you people out there who operate on our computers. My laptop was sick-y but is now all better, thanks to some fantastic guys near where I work. This is the second time I've taken my laptop to have something worked on. When the guy called me at work today to let me know my laptop was fixed & ready, I told him I thought I was going to come & kiss his feet, lol. And when I got there, I guessed which one he was and said "You must be the guy I talked to & said I'd kiss your feet" and he kinda grinned. But I somehow got out of that, lol. He was such a Great guy, though. Spent alot of time with me, downloaded my ITunes library onto my external hard drive for me because I couldn't figure it out and he showed me some other stuff. Those guys are so smart; they impress the heck out of me.

The other time my laptop got worked on was when I had my wireless set up. And I had tried it myself, but gave up. So I took it all into this guy and he opened the box, promptly tossing away the instructions guide & set up CD-Rom into a trashcan. I said Hey, those are the instructions, and he said the CD was only good as a frisbee and promptly began doing it on his own.

Oh, for brains & talent like that. They just go pecking away and unplugging, plugging things in & out, staring determinedly into the screen, and pointing & clicking, clicking & pointing, type, type, type; they're masters at their craft. I'm just in awe. I can't say enough about the computer gurus!!!

prairiegirl said...

Well, shoot, I missed out on everything. Now conversation's over, people are headed home, toys are put away, lights are out, fire blown out, windows are shut, everything's boxed & packed up, Store's closed, Water's drained, Gates locked. lol.

Hey, I gotta tell you something. Two nights ago, I was leaving work; I think it was close to 7. And I was headed out of the industrial park and I could see the moon up there; it was a 1/4 moon, I think, well, a sliver, whatever you call that. And to the lower right of it, were two bright, bright stars. Does anybody know if we've still been able to see the two planets, I can't remember which ones they were supposed to be, Pluto? Saturn? They were incredible! I just know that was them.

Well, I'm going to have to go. I have a dogsitting gig this weekend. Chloe & the Major! Major is a cat. I have some decorative Christmas bands to put over their collars & a little something from Santa to go under the tree. Except I won't be able to put them literally under the tree or they're liable to sniff them out.
Can't wait to see them.

Kacie, how's work?!! Hope it's been busy enough for you!

This is sad; no one to say goodnight to. Sweet dreams to. :(
Well, goodnight anyway!

destiny said...

That's terrific news about The Informers. I was hoping that maybe it's have a shot at Cannes, but Sundance is good too. I wonder if Austin ever thought he'd have a film at Sundance all those years ago when he crashed that party at Sundance. Hopefully it will get some good buzz from the festival.

That's so cool that you saw the moon and the planets lined up PG. I found out about it after the fact. I wish I knew more about computers too, I've really got to take a class one of these days. I'm so glad I finally got a Mac a few years ago, at least it never seems to break down like my old pc, so now it's just a matter of not knowing how to do some things.

Anonymous said...

Does anybody know if we've still been able to see the two planets, I can't remember which ones they were supposed to be, Pluto? Saturn?

12/02/2008
Venus, Jupiter, and the Moon in Rare Conjunction

If you looked up in the sky last night you may have seen the rare conjunction of the Moon, Jupiter (far right), and Venus, an event that won't happen again until May 11, 2011. Above is a photo taken from Cambridge, Massachusetts.

A somewhat shaky video of the event that was shot in Australia, is AFTER THE JUMP...

Venus, Jupiter, and the Moon

Anonymous said...

I Love You Phillip Morris Trailer